Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Grandpa Is Slipping Away



     My grandpa has been slowly declining over the months. He beat bone marrow cancer years ago, but the medicine he had been taking to keep his cancer in line stopped working. He started new treatments the last few weeks that didn't seem to work and he needed many blood transfusions. Unfortunately, he came home from his last blood transfusion last week not good. He has had a stroke and is unable to talk well, walk, or do anything himself.

     My grandpa has been a big part of my life so this time is hard for me. I just wanted you all to know why I've been a little absent from my blog. I've been spending time with him this month enjoying the time I have left with him.

     I'll continue my Valentine's Day Event Giveaways this week as planned, but I will be away spending time with my grandpa.


These pictures were taken this month just a few weeks ago! He loved my hats so he wore his! Paul wore a hat of his too.




11 comments:

Jessie said...

I will be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers Natalie.

Evelyn said...

I'm so sorry to hear. I lost my grandpa about this time last year from cancer as well....you are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope you find comfort in each moment you are able to spend with him!

Terre@savingyourgreen.blogspot.com said...

I am sorry to hear that, and I can relate somewhat. I have a really awesome Grandfather that stepped in and filled a father figure void in my life. He has been slowly changing each year from dementia and Alzheimer's. This year it has become well, just sad. I hate to see such a great man slip away. He cannot use the bathroom on his own anymore, and he does not know sometimes what time of his life he is in. Mostly he thinks that he is in the past and a growing number of times he does not know who I am.
I understand, and hope you can spend more time with your Grandfather than you thought.

dannyscotland said...

I'm so sorry that your grandfather isn't doing well. He is lucky to have such a loving and caring granddaughter. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Gina P said...

Will be thinking of you and your family. Spend as much time as you can with your Granddad. Mine was my best friend and I lost him unexpectedly 17 years ago. I miss him everyday, but cherish everyday that I had with him.

sweetpea08 said...

Let me know if you need anything, Natalie! You and your family will be kept in our prayers.

Belinda said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. Your family is in my prayers!

lastnerve said...

I just wanted to tell you that I am so sorry. You will be in my prayers and thoughts. Just enjoy this time with your grandpa and remember all the fun you've had with him throughout your life.

Val
lastnerve2000@gmail.com

Crystal said...

I am sorry you are going through such a hard time right now sweetie,you are both lucky to have each other.Beautiful pictures!!
Bright Blessings to you and your family

lewalk said...

I am so very sorry for you. I don't have any grandparents left and it just really sucks. I am sending good thoughts and prayers your way. I know there is nothing anyone can say that will make this any better or easier but I want you to know I'm thinking about you and am very sorry.

lewalk(at)hotmail(dot)com

Nichol said...

Oh gosh Natalie I am so sorry:( Beautiful photos.