The Heart Smart Diabetes Kitchen:
Fresh, Fast, and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil.
By Nancy S. Hughes
Do you want fast, healthy meals that can be prepared in no time and still have great taste? Do you care about heart health and want to control your diabetes by still enjoying food? The perfect solution to these questions is: The Heart Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast, and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil.
The Heart Smart Diabetes Kitchen Cookbook includes 151 recipes inside this amazing cookbook! The recipes all include one of the healthiest oils out there which is canola oil. You will be cooking foods that are low in saturated fat and cholesterol, but high in flavor in no time.
All of the recipes meet the ADA’s nutritional guidelines for calories, fat, sodium and other criteria. The recipes get their flavors from herbs, spices, and offer recipes from around the world. You will find recipes that includes American, Mexican, Caribbean, and Italian recipes. The recipes are easy to make to so any chef can make them right at their very own home.
The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen is brought to you by the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo. ADA is the nation's leading volunteer health organization supporting diabetes research, information, advocacy, and publication of comprehensive diabetes information. CanolaInfo is a nonprofit information source about canola oil.
Here are some of the recipes that you will find in this cookbook:
- Banana Bread with Honey Drizzle
- Grilled Shrimp with Sweet Hot Sauce
- Chicken with Roastd Red Pepper Sauce
- Layered Mexican Casserole
- Black Bean Skillet with Butternut Squash
- Skillet Broccoli with Tangy Sweet Sauce
- Toffee-Pecan Topped Cookies
I think this cookbook is awesome! We all need to eat healthier whether we have diabetes or not! This cookbook is a great jump start to a healthier eating life style! This book includes recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so it does not leave any meals out! You will find appetizers, salads, sides, entrees, and desserts in this cookbook. The really neat thing is every recipe includes the nutritional guide on it so you know how much fat, calories, and etc. that you are eating.
Here is just one of the recipes that is inside of this book:
Slow Cooker Smoky Pork Buns
- canola spray oil
- 6 tsps canloa oil, divided
- 4 bone-in pork chops, trimmed of fat (about 1 1/2 lbs total)
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup mild picante sauce
- 1/2 cup hickory smoked barbeque sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split, toasted
1. Spray a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Tilt skillet to coat bottom lightly. Add pork chops and cook 4 minutes on one side. Place pork, browned side up in the slow cooker.
3. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil to pain residue, tilting skillet to coat bottom. Add onions and cook 8-9 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup water to onions and stir until well blended, scraping bottom. Remove from heat. Stir in picante sauce and 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce. Place over pork. Cover and cook on high setting for 3 hours or low setting for 6 hours until a meat thermometer reads 160 F.
4. Remove meat and shred with a fork, discarding any bones. Return to slow cooker and add remaining ingredientts, except buns. To serve, spoon equal amounts of pork mixture on buns.
We decided to make the Slow Cooker Smoky Pork Buns Recipe out of the cookbook to see how this recipe would turn out. This recipe was tasty and amazing! The pork was super moist and was great on buns! Paul thought it would even be good on top of rice. Paul had some friends over when this food was ready so they all ate the Smoky Pork Buns and had seconds because they loved it so much! We cooked this recipe for 6 hours on low in the crock pot.This recipe has 290 calories for 1 serving. We will definitely make this recipe again in the near future!
I definitely recommend you to pick up a copy of The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast, and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil this holiday season! This cookbook would make the perfect holiday present for the person in your life that likes eating healthy or wants to eat healthier! Pick up a copy of this recipe book so you can see more of the great recipes inside of the book!
Visit Canolainfo.org to learn more!
Visit Canolainfo.org to see where you can purchase a copy of The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen Cookbook! You can buy this book for $18.95.
I received a review copy in order to write a honest review. All opinions are solely my own. Others may have different opinions. I did not receive monetary compensation for writing this post. Many thanks to Canolainfo.org for letting me review their cookbook.