Monday, February 22, 2010

Stress Reducer Tips! #6




It's my 6th stress reducer post! I hope these tips can remind you of ways to be more stress free! Have a great week!





List of Stress Reducers:


1. When feeling stressed, most people tend to breathe in short, shallow breaths. When you breathe like this, stale air is not expelled, oxidation of the tissues is incomplete, and muscle tension frequently results. Check your breathing throughout the day, and before, during, and after high pressure situations. If you find your stomach muscles are knotted and your breathing is shallow, relax all your muscles and take several deep, slow breaths. Note how, when you're relaxed, both your abdomen and chest expand when you breathe.


 
2. Writing your thoughts and feelings down (in a journal, or on paper to be thrown away) can help you clarify things and can give you a renewed perspective.


 
3. Try the following yoga technique whenever you feel the need to relax. Inhale deeply through your nose to the count of eight. Then, with lips puckered, exhale very slowly through your mouth to the count of 16, or for as long as you can. Concentrate on the long sighing sound and feel the tension dissolve. Repeat 10 times.


 
4.  Talk it out. Disussing your problems with a trusted friend can help you clear your mind of confusion so you can concentrate on problem solving.


 
5. When the stress of having to get a job done gets in the way of getting the job done, diversion- a voluntary change- in activity and/or environment- may be just what you need.




Check out the other stress reducers from other weeks if you'd like below!






Thanks for reading!





9 comments:

Jennifer said...

#2 & #4 are what I do when I'm feeling stressed :)

Wanda said...

I love your stress reducers! While my favorites have to do with time, allowing yourself enough of it and planning ahead so you're not squeezed by it, I also like "Learn to say No." Couldn't remember if you'd listed it yet so I looked and yep, there it is in Week 4. Great job! We need these tips!
Wanda

Sara Elizabeth said...

Great tips! Stress is so harmful on our bodies in so many ways. For my getting it off my chest is what relieves the stress. Whether I blog about it or talk to a friend about it, doesn't matter. As long as I get it off of my chest and out of my head, I am all good usually. :)

Cheryl B said...

Great tips! I have a lot of issues with stress & anxiety & panic disorder. Almost always, when I have a panic attack, the breathing issue is first & foremost & I have to remind myself I'm okay and to BREATHE correctly (sometimes lie down too, depending on the severity of the attack & the situation I'm in at the time). I'm under a lot of stress right now, with a very high needs toddler (does NOT EVER play by herself & wants constant attention) & my husband out of work right now.

Regular exercise is also important for me to keep my stress in check. Right before my husband lost his job, I bought a handsfree book holder, and it's awesome to use on the treadmill or bike at the gym (the gym for me is our one extravagance; I'd go crazy without it and luckily the monthly cost isn't too much). I love reading & usually bring stress-free books to read while I walk on the treadmill or ride the bike (mysteries or chick lit). When I've been sick & unable to exercise, it feels like my stress levels quadruple or something!

ejrichter60 at gmail dot com said...

I'm in the same boat with Cheryl...anxiety for everyone, but especially for parents and those crushed by the economy has GOT to have people just in a bundle. I find the breathing is what helps me most...getting on TOP of the stress right away with something you can CONTROL!!!
I have to do this alot when I am trying to sleep too, to shake off the day and worries of tomorrow.
GREAT TIPS NATALIE!

ejrichter60 at gmail dot com

Barbara said...

I love your stress reducers!!!

Traci Michele said...

Thanks for these tips! I could have used this yesterday! hehe

Joanne J said...

Thank you! There tips are very helpful to me and my family.

The warrior in me said...

I love diversions! I wish that helped reduce my stress. Contrary to that, keeping myself on my job is a stress thing!

Breathing deep and slow- i vow to follow.